5 STEPS TO BECOME AN RBT
We get many questions regarding RBT training. The most current information is available here.
We have attempted to present the information in a simpler form for your quick review.
Registered Behavior Technician credential requirements:
Age & Education:
- 18 yrs of age
- Completed High school or higher
- 40 hours of training based on RBT tasklist, developed and conducted by BCBA/BCaBA. At least 3 hours of this training must be on Ethics. This training can be completed within a 180 day period.
- RBT training can be lecture based or experimental. It can be designed as one course or multiple units. Training may be delivered in person or online. Time spent on assignments may not count as instructional hours.
- This competency assessment is the basis for eligibility and renewal of RBT credential. A BCBA/BCaBA must administer it AFTER completion of 40-hour training. This involves Direct observation of competencies specified in the competency assessment form. The potential RBT MUST demonstrate competency in ALL tasks. This assessment must be completed no earlier than 90 days prior to applying for the examination.
- BCBA supervisor will confirm with the applicant that a criminal background check is completed as per requirement of the country for such service provision.
- Applicants must take & pass the exam. Only those applicants who submit a complete exam application with all the above-mentioned needs met; are authorized by BACB to take the exam.
ALL details are available on http://bacb.com/rbt-requirements/
Once credentialed the RBT will need to meet monthly supervision requirement and an annual renewal procedure. They must always work under the supervision of BCBA/BCaBA.
At ABTi, our training courses ABA Level 1 & 2, meet the RBT training requirement. Please contact us for more information regarding course content & schedule.