5 STEPS TO BECOME AN RBT
We get many questions regarding RBT training. The most current information is available here.
We have attempted to present the information in a simpler form for your quick review.
Registered Behavior Technician credential requirements:
1. Age & Education:
- 18 yrs of age
- Completed High school or higher
- 40 hours of training based on RBT tasklist 2nd Edition developed and supervised by BCBA-D/BCBA/BCaBA. At least 3 hours of this training must be on Ethics & at least 1 hour on Supervision. This training can be completed within a 180 day period & no less than 5 days period.
- RBT training can be lecture based or experiential. It can be designed as one course or multiple units. Training may be delivered in person or online. Time spent on assignments may not count as instructional hours.
- Upon completion of training hours and no more than 90 days before the RBT Exam, the behavior technician must successfully complete the Competency Assessment.
3. Competency Assessment:
- This competency assessment is the basis for eligibility and renewal of RBT credential. A BCBA/BCaBA must administer it AFTER completion of 40-hour training. This involves Direct observation of competencies specified in the competency assessment form. The behavior technician MUST demonstrate competency in ALL tasks. This assessment must be completed no earlier than 90 days prior to applying for the examination.
- Potential RBT will identify a Responsible Certificant, an individual who serves in the capacity of a Direct Supervisor or an Organizational Compliance officer under whose monthly supervision the Behavior Technician will work.
- Supervisor refers to the certificant (i.e., BCBA, BCaBA, or FL-CBA) who is responsible for the RBT’s supervision and for managing communication with BACB regarding the RBT.
4. Background Check
- Supervisor will confirm with the applicant that a criminal background check is completed as per requirement of the country for such service provision.
- Applicants must take & pass the exam. Only those applicants who submit a complete exam application with all the above-mentioned needs met; are authorized by BACB to take the exam.
- One becomes a RBT upon passing the EXAM conducted by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board. The RBT’s name will appear on the RBT Registry once they pass the exam.
ALL details are available on http://bacb.com/rbt-requirements/
6. Once credentialed the RBT will need to meet monthly supervision requirement and an annual renewal procedure. More details for supervision and renewal are found HERE.
They must always work under the supervision of BCBA/BCaBA.